There will be Four classes of competition:
Ladies Voice (Competition A)
Male Voice (Competition B)
Mixed Voice (Competition C)
Open Category (Competition D)
Each choir will be required to sing four contrasting pieces of their own choice, one of which must be unaccompanied. The winner of each category will go through to the Choir of the Festival Final where they will be required to sing a 25 minute repertoire of their choice but allowing only one piece already sung in their class entry. The full rules of the competition are available at www.festivalofchoirs.im
A Ladies Voice 1st Prize: £500 2nd Prize: £200
B Male Voice 1st Prize: £500 2nd Prize: £200
C Mixed Voice 1st Prize: £500 2nd Prize: £200
D Open Class 1st Prize: £500 2nd Prize: £200
The Ensemble competition is a stand-alone competition that will take place on the Sunday afternoon prior to the Choir of the Festival final. Each ensemble, which will consist of between 4 and 12 voices, will be required to sing two contrasting pieces of no more than 10 minutes. Please note: this is an additional competition to the festival and the winning ensemble will not compete for the Choir of the Festival trophy.
Ensemble Competition Prizes:-
1st Prize - £150
2nd Prize - £75
FESTIVAL PROGRAMME (timetable subject to alteration)
Friday 18th October 2019
- 20:00 - Welcome Evening. This will take place at the Villa Marina and is an informal ‘get to know you’ evening with supper. Be prepared to sing your party piece by way of introducing your choir to the festival! Tickets are priced at £12 per person.
Saturday 19th October 2019
- 09:00 to 12:00 - Rehearsal Opportunity.
- 12:00 to 18:00 - Competition Day.
- Evening free.
Sunday 20th October 2019
- Morning Free / Finalists Rehearsal.
- 13:00 - Ensemble Competition followed by Choir of the Festival final.
- 20:00 - Manx Entertainment Night - music and dance of the Isle of Man.